Feb 25, 2011

Boundlessness

I believe in boundlessness, which means there is no division between birth and death, good and bad, right and wrong. I believe that people are easily puzzled and misled by surface phenomena. They trust their eyes more than other feelings. Therefore, they trust what they see but ignore what is hidden beneath the surface. Unfortunately, what they see with naked eyes is probably not completely true. To find the complete truths we should use our hearts to feel, rather than relying solely on our physical eyes to see.
 I believe in the transmigration of souls. In other words, death is not just death. One life’s ending equals another life’s beginning. In Tibet, when the last Dalai Lama dies, his disciples ride horses to find a newborn baby who is born at the same time as his death. The baby will become the next Dalai Lama. Tibetans trust the soul of the Dalai Lama transfers to the body of this newborn baby. The transmigration of souls is really miraculous. I believe death is not the end of a person’s journey.  Life changes from one form of existence to another becoming air and wind surrounding the person who it loves, watching, accompanying and protecting her. For example, every time I visited my grandmother at her tomb in Shanghai, I sat in front of her and told her my problems. However, after I sat there quietly and enjoyed the breeze for a while, I felt better and those problems seemed smaller.
I believe in the concept of equal exchange. It is an eternal principle in nature that when a person gets something, she loses something. The more she gets, the more she loses. Likewise, a person gets something as she loses something. I heard an old saying when I was young: “When God closes a door to you, he must open a window for you.”  When I was in college, I did many kinds of jobs, such as credit card seller, swimming coach, accountant, auditor, etc. because I thought social experiences are very important. Through these jobs, I gained rich experiences and became more mature and reliable, but at same time, I lost my innocent mind that caused me not to trust others easily. 
People are accustomed to make principle to destroy union. However, actually, many things in the world had not had clear boundaries. Most of the time, it is hard to distinguish right from wrong, good from bad. Right or wrong, good or bad are just separated by a slender line. I saw a very interesting picture once. In the picture, I perceived a young girl; in contrast, my friend saw an old lady. What we each perceived from the same picture was totally different. Who was right? We were both right because we saw the picture from different perspectives. From left to right, the picture is a young girl. Vice versa, it is an old lady. Different viewpoints and thoughts result from the angle and position of the viewer.
Everyone comes to this world in the same way. When we are born, we are naked and don’t bring anything with us to this world. There is no boundary among them. However, influenced by this society, some people start to feel they are more honorable than others because of having lots of money or power. Hence, boundary forms. However, ten decades later, when they leave this world, they all cannot take anything. At this time, boundary disappears.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Footprint of Water! You have such a strong distinctive voice when you write. You speak with clarity and confidence! I am curious how you got that way at such a young age. You have given me some clues...you have amazing parents and at one time--a very attentive wise grandmother--who you still commune with!

    I liked reading this blog because it invited me to revisit my own ideas about existence, death, soulfulness, and boundaries. Some times I feel afraid that we lose so much during our life time. I want "IT" to be ALL GAIN! NO LOSS! Why must we have this exchange! I exclaim loudly!

    Yet, I know at the same time, along with you...this is the nature of life. There is a sort of EQUALIZATION that goes on all the time.

    Thank you for writing this blog entry about what you believe! Powerful!

    ReplyDelete